Demo of a Tone Man LP, Strat, SG & Other Harness scroll down to bottom.
Why Vintage 50's Tone: Let's first go back to the 50's / 60's. Think about the sound or "Tone" that came out of that era.
So many great recordings that we strive today just to get somewhere close to. They did not have the sophisticated recording equipment we have today. If you are looking for an easy economical way to get that 50's Tone. Upgrade with a Tone Man Wiring Kit.
Tone Man Pre Wired Harness Kits Are The Best Available: We are the Tone Experts. Our prewired harness kits will Improve Your Tone! We only use premium components that sound and work better than the stock electronic parts found in guitars today. Every part is matched to give you the very best tone and a True Custom Built Kit. Every pot is hand tested for accuracy and tolerance to give you the best control when adjusting both volume and tone. Our tone caps are 2nd to none. We offer both Orange Drops and my own favorite Vintage Paper In Oil (PIO). They give that true vintage tone that both Gibson and Fender had back in the 50's. All wiring is vintage Gavitt push back cloth or braided. Just like Leo used. Every kit is carefully hand wired to your order. Just take a look at the pictures of our product and compare. I take great pride in my work and wire every kit myself as if it was for my own guitar. I know you will love our products.
Why 50s Wiring: It simple improves your overall tone and sound. This is the way Gibson & Fender wired up their electric guitars in the late 1950s. Notes open up after you play them. It’s stronger, tighter and adds clarity especially to the neck pick up. Will improve the muddy neck sound of a LP. By rolling back your guitar volume some you can clean up an over driven amp. One of my own favorite things is the elimination of much of the treble loss when you roll the volume down. Both volume and tone controls are very responsive and smoother. Does not matter what type of music you play. Rock, Blues, Country Jazz or Metal. 50's Wiring will improve your tone.
Potentiometers: I personally prefer Bourns audio taper potentiometers over all other brands including CTS. They are one of the highest rated guitar pots on the market today. I have found them to be smoother, longer lasting and have the best taper and response of any pot on the market. But more important my customers love Bourns! Our pots are Coarse 18 Spline. We carry knobs that fit.
Long or Short Shaft Pots?
- USA made Gibson Les Paul manufactured 1977 to current use Long Shaft Pots (except Historic R2, R7, R8).
- Pre 1977 Gibson Les Paul, All Epiphone LP, All SG, LPJ, Les Paul Special, ES 335 / 175 Series, The Paul, Explorer, Melody Maker, Firebird, Flying V, All Historic R2, R7, R8 use Short Shaft Pots.
- All Fender, Tele, Stratocaster, Squire or Strat style, use Short Shaft Pots
If you don't see your guitar listed email me the make, model and year and I will try to help you.
Type of Wire: It's all about creating the same type characteristics that those vintage guitars from the 50's and 60's had. We use vintage Gavitt wax cloth pushback 22awg wiring and Gavitt braided cloth wiring . The same that early Fender and Gibson's used. It's all part of the Tone Process. NO Plastic Wire In Our Kits!
Capacitors: This is the key! Great Tone comes from a variety of things but the caps are critical. Type, characteristics and value all make up the Tone! Cap values range from .015uf to .1uf. We offer Orange Drops and my favorite Vintage Russian Paper-In-Oil (PIO) caps. Each with their own characteristics that create various Tones. I spend a great deal of time searching all over the world for good quality caps. Many of our kits give you an option to choose different tone cap values.
- Orange Drops: A favorite of many players. These caps give great tone. Better than the standard caps that come with today's guitars. Good choice for both humbuckers and single coil. .022uf is my choice for Orange Drops.
- PIO Paper-In-Oil Vintage K42Y-2 (The Green Ones): Great tone characteristics. Very Warm full tone. Excellent vintage sound. Gives True Vintage Tone. Works very well with hunbuckers and single coil. The best cap for P90 pickups.
- PIO Paper-In-Oil Vintage K40Y-9 (The Silver Ones): Great characteristics for Vintage Tone. These caps will reach out and grab you with the tone. Equal to or better than Vitamin Q's and Bumble Bee's. Excellent for humbuckers and single coil. True 59 Les Paul Tone.
The higher to cap value the warmer the tone is as you adjust down. .
Single Coil / Stratocaster
- .047uf Orange Drop used in many Fender guitars. Good overall value for great tone in your Strat or Tele.
- .033uf PIO cap gives a Good bluesy vintage tone. My Favorite PIO Tone Cap.
- .022uf cap is a good choice if your wanting a little brighter tone. Best choice for Orange Drops.
- .1uf is a great cap for Strats. Fender used a .1uf PIO cap in Strats back in the late 50's and early 60's. Warm, woody & bold. Great vintage tone. Will rock on the bridge PU & gives a good warm bluesy neck tone. Humbucker
- .033uf bridge / .015uf neck PIO combination has become very popular. .015uf in the neck helps reduce the muddy tone a neck pickup can have. Highly recommend this combination for all 2 humbucker style guitars.
- .022uf / .022uf combination has been the standard for many years. Good over all tone PIO or Orange Drop.
- .022uf /.015uf combination. .015uf in the neck helps reduce muddy a neck PU can have. PIO or Orange Drop
- For single humbucker the .022uf or .033uf are both excellent choices. .033uf will give a little warmer bluesy tone.
Switches and Jacks: I prefer the best. Switchcraft 3 way switches for the Les Paul's, Oak Grigsby 5 way for the Strat's and Switchcraft output jacks. All well made, solid as a rock connections and long lasting.
I hope this helps you have a better understanding of the differences in the Parts, DIY Kits and Pre-Built Harness's we offer. We make it easy for you to Improve Your Tone. Prebuilt Kits ready to drop in your guitar or DIY Kits. If you have questions please feel free to reach out to me. Take a listen to the Demo's below.
Left Handed Guitar Wiring: We do not offer left handed wiring kits. Wiring regular pots backwards will result in a very unusable taper and degrades the tone of your guitar. Although other companies will do this anyway I strongly advise against it. My recommendation is to find a company that truly builds Left handed prebuilt kits using Left Handed Pots.
Tone Man Guitar
Enjoy these demo's by Jack Fossett of our Les Paul, Stratocaster. SG, Telecaster, EJ Stratocaster and ES335 Prewired Wiring Harness. Plus a Custom Built for a Firebird V. Jack Fossett is an independent guitarist, singer and songwriter who in 2013 was selected by Joe Bonamassa as one of America's top 10 undiscovered blues guitarists. Thank You Jack.